Tuesday, March 8, 2011

i really did it

i'm sitting here typing this from bed, and i can't believe i'm actually still IN bed. what a luxurious feeling. i'm watching tv, in bed, which is also something i don't usually do. again, the luxury. but i'm looking out the windows where it's kind of blustery out and cloudy {thus the reason for working from bed}. blech. i HATE this kind of weather. i especially hate this weather in albuquerque. while the weather was not the number one reason for moving, it was DEFINITELY toward the top of the list. i thought it would be all warm and sunny ALL the time, even in the winter. not so much. when i first got here at the end of november it was cold. and grey. and cold. and i was surprised and not too thrilled with it. but it seemed to move on fairly quickly because as soon as i thought i needed some new boots, i was wearing flip flops. but the weather here seems to be quite bi-polar, kind of like seattle. and when it is grey here, it REALLY makes me aware of how much the weather and sunlight affect me...but overall, the amount of sunlight here in the southwest thus far is making me veryyyyyyyy happy.
which brings me to my point: i can NOT believe i actually moved here. three months ago i lived in seattle. and now i live in new mexico. i packed up all my shit and put it in a truck and drove for four days and now i am a new mexican. i'm so proud of myself for doing it. and really, the transition has been pretty awesome. yes, it's a completely different city and it is extremely QUIRKY with crazy people, different cuisine (NO i do NOT want red or green chile on EVERYTHING I EAT, thank you), and radically different climate, but SO FAR, SO GOOD.
i am not going to say that this has been easy. in fact, i might go so far as to say this has been the most challenging thing i've done in my life. to pick up everything i know and leave my entire support system of friends and family. but the fact is, i did it for love. it was a CHOICE, and i chose it. it wasn't a weird move for 'work' that i didn't really want (although my work is part of all of this, thank god i don't work for some big company that just had to 'move' me). it was a choice. i chose to follow my heart and give it a go. i mean, how do you really know if you don't try?
do i miss my friends and family? of course. do i miss seattle restaurants?! TOTALLY! and do i miss my routines and my comfort zone? oh yah. but that was how i knew i needed to do this. change does not come easy for me. it is not my best friend. i lived in the same apartment in seattle for six and a half years. so i knew i needed to rock my boat, if you will. and i followed my heart to a creative, loving, amazing man who has made this transition fun, full of adventure, and full of love.
life is really just a 'choose your own adventure' book. there is no 'wrong' or 'right', there just is whichever road you choose. i am excited about the many adventures i am on...

No comments:

allow me to (re)introduce myself

I started this blog in 2008. That’s 10 years ago. I wrote in it about 25 times, the last in 2011. It’s interesting looking back at the posts...