Thursday, March 3, 2011

it's been a while...


wow. it's been almost 2 YEARS since i've blogged. that's crazy. why has it taken me so long? well, i kind of knew as i started this blog that it would be a difficult thing for me to do every day. i've never been one to write in a journal or a diary ~ i've had the best intentions but in fact, i'm pretty sure i have about 10 journals around my house that each have about 1-3 entries, all starting with "well, i've tried this before to no avail...let's see how this turns out" or something of the sort. and if i remember correctly, my very first post on this blog started out the same way...
so what's my problem? why don't i blog more? i mean, i'm smart! i'm hip! i'm creative! i like cool things! i think about doing it all the time. then i think i'll just post something on facebook and call it a day, but then i never do that either because i hem and haw about "who cares?" "who wants to read this?". honestly, i think it's just a little bit of stage fright. i've always felt "pressure" (self-imposed, of course) to write the "right" thing, or write the "right" way, or write the "cool" things that people would be interested in. well, no more. i have come to realize that my blog is MY BLOG. i can do whatever i want with it. i can write however i want, about whatEVER i want, and i don't have to write for an audience. i have come to realize that writing, in it's purest and simplest form, is cathartic. it's a release. it gathers up all of those pesky and not-so-pesky thoughts that roll around in my brain and puts them somewhere else. it's healthy. it can be creative or not, but who really cares?!

during my first year in college i took an english 101 class. my teacher sat me down after only a few assignments and very seriously said to me "i am going to encourage you to be a WRITER. your attention to detail is exquisite and you can really tell a story through your words..." so i considered it, took a few creative writing classes, and then realized i just didn't want to major in english, so i majored in communication. because i can talk. and i like to talk. and i can talk a LOT. and i ended up teaching a bunch of communication 101 classes and ended up writing a LOT of papers, but none too creative, since they were all for my boring major...

so here it is, the beginning of march in 2011, and i'm going to give this another shot (we could talk now about the list i made on january 1st, not of resolutions but just of 'positive reminders' i like to call them. we could talk about how BLOGGING is on that list and it has been 60 days since i wrote said list. but we won't mention that.) i have come to realize that usually throughout my day, i have quite a few things to say. usually i just say them to myself, but now i think i will start saying them HERE. facebook is so lame and is not really the platform for most of the things that i think about. it can get very shallow at times and of course i want to talk about ALL things important! nah, not really. in actuality, most of the things i think about writing down aren't really that monumental at all, but they're somehow important to me. and maybe some day other people will find what i write interesting and important too. but that is not my goal here. i just want to create a place for ME. for MY musings. for MY idiosyncratic thoughts and questions and quirky ideas. i want a place where i can talk about my orchids that are blooming, my explorations of a new city, my new nail polish color, the weirdness i saw today, the jewelry i've been making, or any other number of random tid-bits.
and alas, i have already created the space for all of this: THIS BLOG...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, the blogging is certainly cathartic and I empathize with that sense of stage fright..also with having something I thought one day being permanently written, only to find I am not that person anymore next week. And certainly nervous that whoever is reading it may very well assign that character to me. In any case, I like your new attitude toward blogging...I just took an awesome beginners workshop on blogging yesterday and am about to dip my toes in the blogging waters myself. Good on ya, girl!

allow me to (re)introduce myself

I started this blog in 2008. That’s 10 years ago. I wrote in it about 25 times, the last in 2011. It’s interesting looking back at the posts...